Saturday, June 10, 2017

How to set up NON-Synced Gmail on Mobile and PC devices.

NOTE: Usually if you automatically set up your email account settings on both mobile phones and PCs, these days they usually configure them in IMAP to sync the account on multiple devices at the same time. For example . . .

If you delete an email from your mobile device it also automatically deletes that email from your PC as well - - - and vice versa - - - if you delete that email from your computer, it will also disappear from your mobile phone too. I didn't know that, and so I lost some important emails (stupid me).

But I found a way to set up a Gmail account on both devices (Android and PC -- maybe Mac and iPHone too) that allows you to delete emails on your mobile phone (to clear all the clutter) while also keeping copies archived on the server to later download to your PC to better sort and save until they're also deleted from the hard drive on your computer.

I learned all this after I temporarily lost my primary (DEFAULT) Gmail account and all access to my Google blog and YouTube accounts as well - - - and I was freaked out because (as a non-geek), I thought those accounts were lost forever.

But after almost 3 days and hours and hours of work, I got my account back and found a solution that many people have been asking about in forums that I've read . . .

How to SYNC incoming emails on 2 devices -- but not delete emails on your server/computer after deleting them from your mobile device.

(My PC uses WINDOWS LIVE 2012 for email, part of the Windows Essentials in Windows 7*, and Google says this is a less secure** than your new Android phone. More below.)

BELOW: Setting up a Gmail account on an Android mobile phone and PC using both POP and IMAP settings.

STEP ONE: First you'll have to log in to the Gmail website to "enable less secure apps" to allow your Google account to work in the POP/IMAP server mode in both devices. You will get a notice from Gmail saying:

"You recently changed your security settings so that your Google Account is no longer protected by modern security standards. Please be aware that it is now easier for an attacker to break into your account. You can make your account safer again by undoing this change here, then switching to apps made by Google such as Gmail to access your account."

STEP TWO: After that, you will also have to log in to your Gmail account at their website -- and near the top right side of the page, click on the "gear" and click on "Settings" as seen below.

Gmail POP-IMAP-settings

On the next page you see, click on FORWARDING AND POP/IMAP to make these server settings that are seen in screen shot below (click on the small image to enlarge for much greater detail.)

Gmail POP-IMAP-settings

STEP THREE: Configure your email settings in the email program on your computer like they are shown in the images below. Gmail's explanations in the links on that page for the settings were very confusing for me, so I thought the screenshots of my actual settings could better explain. They are the current settings of my Gmail account on my PC to show you EXACTLY how to use a Gmail account on both your Android and PC without syncing and losing access to your Gmail , Blogspot and Youtube accounts at Google --- and NOT having your emails automatically deleted from your server or your PC's hard drive whenever you delete them from your mobile phone.

Gmail POP-IMAP-settings

Gmail POP-IMAP-settings

Gmail POP-IMAP-settings

FYI: Seen below is all I could see on my phone for Gmail settings (which were configured automatically when I added a new Gmail account to my phone.)

Gmail POP-IMAP-settings

Now I can open my mobile phone and download any messages I might receive, and delete the ones I've read or skipped, but yet still have them downloaded on my computer later at home when I open my email program (because they are still left on the server); and any new incoming messages will still go to both devices.


* You can use Windows Live Mail 2012 with any standard email service. However, Microsoft moved all its own email services (Office 365, Hotmail, Live Mail, MSN Mail, Outlook.com etc) to a single codebase at Outlook.com. And Windows Live Mail 2012 does not support the new APIs (applications programming interfaces) required to provide full synchronisation with Outlook.com. Microsoft could update Windows Live Mail 2012, but instead, it has asked users to switch to a different email program.

** I'm no expert, so I don't how "enable less secure apps" affects your email's security. Is it less secure on your PC or mobile phone or both? And Why? I've always used firewalls, anti-virus, etc. on my computer --- but am I now somehow more susceptible to hacks with Gmail because I changed that setting to use this account with both devices? Bfore I began using an Android, I was never informed that using Gmail on my PC was "enabling less secure apps".

(LEAVE A COMMENT)

No comments:

Post a Comment